Casual Visitor Services Assistant
About the role
Culture Coventry are looking for Casual Visitor Services Assistants to join the Visitor Services team at Coventry Transport Museum on a casual basis, to help deliver an exceptional customer experience to our visitors, helping them gain a full appreciation and enjoyment of our collections and Coventry’s rich history.
As a Casual Visitor Services Assistant your role will be to help maintain a presence in the galleries and exhibitions, ensuring that they are a clean and safe environment for our visitors, as well as maintaining the safety and security of the collections.
We are looking for candidates who:
Have a good understanding of the importance of customer service with experience within a customer service setting. Strong communication skills – with a confident and friendly manner and able to adapt the communication style when needed. Candidates who are comfortable promoting retail promotions and maximising opportunities for donations to the museum. A positive and flexible ‘can do’ attitude.
Reporting to: Duty Managers
Culture Coventry Trust and Coventry Sports Foundation are operating as CV Life, so that the scope of this Job Description as a CV Life document extends to cover the employment of employment contracts held with either Culture Coventry Trust or Coventry Sports Foundation.
Overall purpose and objective of the role:
- To deliver an exceptional visitor experience that enables all visitors to our museums to easily access and engage with our collections, exhibitions, events and activities.
- To maintain a presence in the galleries and exhibitions to ensure clean and safe environment for our visitors and the safety and security of the collections.
- To actively promote the retail offers at the museum as widely as possible so that sales and donations are maximized.
Main duties of the role:
- Interact with visitors, providing a visible and welcoming point of contact, giving information and customer care to visitors to the museums, galleries and exhibitions to enhance the visitor experience.
- Interact, interpret with and guide visitors through the displays and collection items housed at the museums, galleries and exhibitions.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of the history and attractions of museums, galleries and exhibitions to assist with the visitor enquiries. Provide up to date information to visitors both verbally and through promotional material.
- Know and promote the City of Coventry and signpost visitors to key attractions.
- Work as required to support evening conferences and events as directed by the Duty Manager.
- Work in the museum gift shop as required by serving customers, operating the till, stocking up and keeping the shop clean and tidy.
- Promote and operate the simulator safely, as directed by the Duty Manager.
- Checking the equipment in the working area is functioning and that items are on display are secure and undamaged, reporting problems to the Duty Manager.
- Work as required to maintain satisfactory staffing levels to enable the visitors to enjoy a safe, enjoyable and comfortable visit.
- Be aware and be able to assess and deal with challenging visitors/situations in line with procedures.
Clean, Safe & Secure Environment
- Contribute at all times to the general upkeep of the buildings by reporting significant items of concern to the Duty Manager and by suggesting improvements to, and work required around, the museums, galleries and exhibitions.
- Carry out cleaning work as directed by the Duty Manager, using appropriate and approved materials in the following areas:
- Interpretive displays
- Public toilets
- Operates equipment and uses chemicals only as directed by a competent person in agreement with Duty Manager.
- Seek to ensure the security of the buildings and the collection by means of Responding to any security alerts promptly.
- Monitoring the movement of contractors, volunteers, students who are approved access to the premises. Monitoring the movement of people, allowed access to secure areas of the premises, including contractors, hirers, volunteers, researchers and students.
- Locking and unlocking the museum premises.
- Carrying out a designated role in the event of an evacuation of the premises due to an emergency.
- Undertake regular checks of firefighting equipment i.e. fire extinguishers.
- Under the direction of the Duty Manager, train and support employees, workers and volunteers to required standards.
Exhibitions and Collection Care
- Help researchers in the museum and be responsible for the security of objects when in use by researchers.
- Move objects as required and help with preventative conservation.
- Ensure that the items in the exhibition are properly displayed, including the arrangement of security barriers, the provision and maintenance of appropriate signs and labels and operate audio visual and similar equipment as required.
- Meet arriving visitors in car park areas to direct to meetings, events etc.
- Driving vehicles as required (no Museum collections).
- Escorting items in transit.
- Assist with the loading and unloading of vehicles for deliveries.
This job description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and may be reviewed and updated depending upon operational requirements and staffing levels.
Responsibilities for all employees
- To embrace and lead by example on the Company’s key values of PRIDE, PASSION and PERFORMANCE or those that might at any time be subsequently re-defined.
- To undertake all duties and fully comply with all of the Company’s general standards and those relating to the specific requirements of the role.
- To carry out tasks at a range of sites that are either operated or managed by the Companies / Trusts or where services are delivered by the Companies / Trusts.
- To be involved in any aspects or opportunities for sharing of good practice, expertise and responsibilities within the Companies / Trusts. To generally help promote the work and public image of the Companies / Trusts, always maintaining high standards of customer service and personal appearance.
- To attend and fully engage with all internal training and development requirements and opportunities, and maintain such qualifications as required by the demands of the role.
- To interact positively with customers adopting a friendly and professional approach at all times.
- To support the Company’s commitment to providing a safe environment for children, young people ad vulnerable adults, ensuring awareness of the Company’s Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practice Guidance, and to be vigilant, reporting any safeguarding concerns without delay.
- To comply with the General Data Protection Regulations when dealing with, maintaining, sharing and storing information.
- To undertake other duties as specified, which are appropriate to the qualifications, experience and general level of the post.
Essential Personal Attributes
- Customer focused with the ability to identify customer audiences.
- Good communication skills both face-to-face and in writing.
- A team player with an approachable manner.
- Sensitive to the different cultural backgrounds of Coventry’s diverse communities.
- A flexible approach to work with people and the ability to respond to differing needs.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take the initiative
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrable interest in the arts and heritage sector.
- Experience in delivering a proactive and high level of customer experience.
If you have any enquires, please contact our Human Resources Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org