Fixed Term – Cook
We have an opportunity for a Cook to work in Alfreds Café at the Herbert Art Gallery and Museum until January 2022.
We are looking for someone who is able to prepare and cook hot dishes for our busy lunchtimes in the café. You will also be required to undertake some basic baking recipes and would therefore have the ability to bake items such as scones, biscuits and cakes.
A good knowledge of food hygiene safety standards is required.
Hours of work are 25 per week however specific working days and times can be negotiated for the right candidate.
Reporting to: Café Manager
Culture Coventry Trust and Coventry Sports Foundation are operating as CV Life, so that the scope of this Job Description as a CV Life document extends to cover the employment of employment contracts held with either Culture Coventry Trust or Coventry Sports Foundation.
Overall purpose and objective of the role:
To provide a professional Food and Beverage service, through the preparation of food in Alfred’s Café.
Main Duties of the Role
- To cook, bake and assist other staff in preparing food in a fast-paced environment.
- Contribute to menu planning.
- Preparing ingredients and ensuring final products are fresh and adhere to the offer.
- To follow food health and safety procedures.
- Use kitchen equipment in a safe manner.
- Ability to prepare a wide range of ingredients/dishes both hot and cold.
- Follow recipes, including measuring, weighing and mixing ingredients.
- Present, garnish, arrange final dishes and on occasions serve food.
- Adjust food items to accommodate allergies or specific diet concerns.
- Able to keep records and accounts of food purchases.
- Cleaning the kitchen and cooking utensils.
This Job Description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and may be reviewed and updated depending upon operational requirements and staffing levels.
Responsibilities for all employees
- To embrace and lead by example on the Company’s key values of PRIDE, PASSION and PERFORMANCE or those that might at any time be subsequently re-defined.
- To undertake all duties and fully comply with all of the Company’s general standards and those relating to the specific requirements of the role.
- To carry out tasks at a range of sites that are either operated or managed by the Companies / Trusts or where services are delivered by the Companies / Trusts.
- To be involved in any aspects or opportunities for sharing of good practice, expertise and responsibilities within the Companies / Trusts. To generally help promote the work and public image of the Companies / Trusts, always maintaining high standards of customer service and personal appearance.
- To attend and fully engage with all internal training and development requirements and opportunities, and maintain such qualifications as required by the demands of the role.
- To interact positively with customers adopting a friendly and professional approach at all times.
- To support the Company’s commitment to providing a safe environment for children, young people ad vulnerable adults, ensuring awareness of the Company’s Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practice Guidance, and to be vigilant, reporting any safeguarding concerns without delay.
- To comply with the General Data Protection Regulations when dealing with, maintaining, sharing and storing information.
- To undertake other duties as specified, which are appropriate to the qualifications, experience and general level of the post.
Essential Personal Attributes
- Ability to work in a high pressure environment.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Efficient manner.
- Ability to be thorough, pay attention to detail and ask for clarification when necessary.
- Ability to multitask.
- Excellent Time-Management skills.
- Ability to work well with others.
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- Experience as a Cook in a quick service cafe environment.
- Experience of menu planning.
- Knowledge of cooking techniques and methods.
- Ability to use key kitchen equipment.
- Level 2 Food Hygiene, or willingness to work towards these.
- Level 2 Allergy Awareness, or willingness to work towards these.
- Knowledge of current legislation regarding labelling prepared food.
Essential Special Skills
- Strong time management skills.
- Can adjust food items to accommodate allergies or specific diet concerns;
- Ability to work outside of hours for events as required.
If you have any enquires, please contact our Human Resources Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org