We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced manager to lead and develop an exceptional visitor experience across all sites within Culture Coventry Trust. You will be directly responsible for the day to day operational and event management of Coventry Transport Museum.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate strong leadership and connect with and develop ownership of the museums’ collections and exhibitions. They will also be a good team player and skilled people manager who is experienced and committed to improving standards, managing multiple projects to timescales and implementing changes.
Reporting to: Operations Manager.
Responsible for: Duty Managers, Front of House Staff, Retail Manager and Cleaners.
Culture Coventry Trust and Coventry Sports Foundation are operating as CV Life, so that the scope of this Job Description as a CV Life document extends to cover the employment of employment contracts held with either Culture Coventry Trust or Coventry Sports Foundation.
Overall purpose and objective of the role:
To lead and develop an exceptional visitor experience across all sites within Culture Coventry Trust and be directly responsible for the day-to-day operational management of the Coventry Transport Museum and Old Grammar School.
Main duties of the role:
- To work with the Operations Manager to implement the organisational strategic vision and objectives for an engaging visitor experience, policies and processes and encourage ownership of these throughout the organisation.
- To work with the Estates Manager and Operations Manager to ensure the Coventry Transport Museum (CTM) and Old Grammar School (OGS) is suitable and safe. Including the training, implementation and updating of all Health and Safety policies and procedures (risk assessments and safe systems of work) in relation to the venue management of CTM.
- To organise and monitor all aspects of personnel and staffing within the CTM & OGS including staffing levels, rota’s, cover, holidays and absenteeism and to support employment procedures in accordance with HR policy.
- To be responsible for the management, development and training of employees in accordance with Company policies and procedures.
- The development and implementation of a Conference & Events Pricing Strategy for CTM/OGS, that maximises revenue for Culture Coventry and CV Life.
- To be responsible for the booking, planning, organisation, resourcing and invoicing of all corporate and general event bookings at the CTM/OGS.
- To work collaboratively with the Creative Planning team to ensure that appropriate resource is allocated to allow for the smooth running of exhibitions and other creative activity. This includes but is not exclusively: event set up, allocation of visitor assistance for the care of collection and to provide an excellent visitor experience.
- To work collaboratively with the Venue Manager, Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, and the Retail Manager on the development/growth and ongoing management of the retail offer at CTM including an on-line offer.
- To be responsible for the overseeing of the contract for the operation of the café at CTM ‘Esquires’ and general licensing compliance for CTM and the Old Grammar School.
- To be responsible for the implementation of financial controls in relation to Front of House and Retail.
- To ensure that all staff project a professional, friendly and presentable image of the Company at all times.
- To structure and organise communication networks within the various departments within CTM and lead meetings as appropriate.
- To work with the Operations Manager and other Venue Managers within the Company to develop complementary marketing campaigns to continually strive to increase usage and revenue generation.
- To work closely with teams and Managers across the organisation to ensure that we offer an inclusive service in line with the target audience key performance indicators as per the business plan.
- To ensure that daily site inspections are conducted to ensure the earliest possible identification of health & safety risks, maintenance and cleaning issues and, work with the Estates Manager to monitor any maintenance corrective actions.
- To ensure that the Venues facilities are constantly maintained, cleaned and presented to the highest of standards as could be expected within any similar facility within the culture sector.
- To ensure that all services are delivered with the highest standards of customer care, and that all customer enquiries/complaints are dealt with and recorded both promptly and effectively.
- To monitor and respond to any issues of security (in relation to the premises, staff, users, sub- contractors and visitors) and to respond to alarm call outs as a designated ‘key holder’ and as part of the disaster recovery plan.
- To work Duty Management shifts as required, in covering shifts during times of holidays and absenteeism.
- To work with the Operations Manager in the development of the relevant budgets and manage budgets cascading the relevant information to encourage ownership amongst teams achieving income targets where relevant.
This job description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and may be reviewed and updated depending upon operational requirements and staffing levels.
Responsibilities for all employees
- To embrace and lead by example on the Company’s key values of PRIDE, PASSION and PERFORMANCE or those that might at any time be subsequently re-defined.
- To undertake all duties and fully comply with all of the Company’s general standards and those relating to the specific requirements of the role.
- To carry out tasks at a range of sites that are either operated or managed by the Companies / Trusts or where services are delivered by the Companies / Trusts
- To be involved in any aspects or opportunities for sharing of good practice, expertise and responsibilities within the Companies / Trusts. To generally help promote the work and public image of the Companies / Trusts, always maintaining high standards of customer service and personal appearance.
- To attend and fully engage with all internal training and development requirements and opportunities, and maintain such qualifications as required by the demands of the role.
- To interact positively with customers adopting a friendly and professional approach at all times.
- To support the Company’s commitment to providing a safe environment for children, young people ad vulnerable adults, ensuring awareness of the Company’s Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practice Guidance, and to be vigilant, reporting any safeguarding concerns without delay.
- To comply with the General Data Protection Regulations when dealing with, maintaining, sharing and storing information.
- To undertake other duties as specified, which are appropriate to the qualifications, experience and general level of the post.
Essential Personal Attributes
- Excellent communicator to various levels of internal and external representation.
- Approachability to staff.
- Positive assertiveness.
- High levels of self-motivation and organisation.
- Enthusiastic and confident.
- Honest, reliable & trustworthy.
- Supportive qualities that will encourage staff in their pursuit of personal goals.
- Ability to be positively persuasive and motivate individuals and teams.
- High standards in relation to the presentation of venues and staff.
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge of project management.
- Experience of devising and implementing visitor and customer strategies.
- Experience of working in partnership and with external agencies.
- Substantial experience in a customer facing role and organisation.
- Working knowledge & experience of the day-to-day management of a Museum.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety practices within a Museum environment.
- Experience of cash handling.
- Experience in business planning, budget management and financial analysis / management processes.
- Experience of security practices & procedures.
- Experience in the implementation of policies and procedures.
- Previously held a management position or hold a recognised Management qualification.
- Experience in the development & marketing of facilities/activities.
Essential Special Skills
- Consultative leadership and management skills with the ability to motivate, inspire and effect change and deliver results.
- Ability to work on own initiative, under pressure and make decisions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to deliver to deadlines and prioritise competing demands.
- Results orientated – to ensure resources are managed within deadlines and budgets.
- Ability to work independently, self-motivate and prioritise workload effectively.
- Commercially aware.
- Strong IT and digital skills.
- Data management skills, with the ability to analyse, track, interrogate and report data trends.
- Confidentiality in relation to personnel issues.
- Organisational, planning and administration skills.
- Customer care skills.
- Ability to travel between sites during the working day.
- A flexible approach to work with the willingness and ability to work outside standard hours on occasion.
- Ability to drive the company vehicle.
If you have any enquires, please contact our Human Resources Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org